159 Fun Christmas Trivia Questions
Christmas trivia questions are Christmas-related prompts you can use during a quiz. Examples include “What is the capital city of Christmas Island?” “What country is the largest exporter of Christmas trees?” and “What are the ingredients for mulled wine?” With these questions, you and your colleagues or family members can show how smart you are while having festive fun.
This list includes:
- funny Christmas quiz questions
- Christmas trivia questions for adults
- fun family Christmas trivia questions
- hard Christmas trivia questions
- Christmas movie trivia questions
Let’s get to it!
Funny Christmas quiz questions
- Q: What is the chemical formula of snow?
- Q: What company first introduced Santa Claus’ red and white costume in an advertisement?
- Q: What fairy tale was the inspiration for the first gingerbread houses?
A: Hansel and Gretel
- Q: What do you call a female turkey?
A: A hen
- Q: What was the traditional English Christmas dinner before turkey prevailed?
A: Pig’s head with mustard
- Q: What are two other popular names for Santa Claus?
A: Saint Nick and Kris Kringle
- Q: What is the total number of gifts given in the song “12 Days of Christmas” song?
A: 64 gifts
- Q: Santa Claus initially dressed up in purple, blue, or green, true or false?
- Q: What did people put on their trees before the invention of Christmas lights?
- Q: Who made modern-day gingerbread famous?
A: Queen Elizabeth I
- Q: In what country do children’s clogs get filled with candies on December 5th?
A: The Netherlands
- Q: What popular Christmas song was, in fact, written for Thanksgiving?
A: “Jingle Bells”
- Q: How many candles are there on an Advent wreath?
A: Four candles
- Q: What is the meaning of the word “Santa?”
- Q: What are the names of Santa’s nine reindeer?
A: Blitzen, Comet, Cupid, Dancer, Donner, Dasher, Prancer, Rudolph, and Vixen
- Q: “Seeing isn’t believing. Believing is seeing.” In what movie were these words said?
A: The Polar Express
Christmas trivia questions for adults
- Q: What is the name of the US president that banned Christmas trees from the White House?
A: Theodore Roosevelt
- Q: The dessert called “White Christmas,” made from dried fruit and coconut oil, originated from which country?
- Q: Snowball cocktails contain which alcoholic ingredient?
- Q: What is Santa Claus known as in Dutch?
- Q: What is the most popular Christmas-themed ballet of all time?
A: The Nutcracker
- Q: Traditionally, what do Ukrainians put on their Christmas tree to attract good luck?
A: Spider’s web
- Q: To make Christmas trifles, what alcohol should you add as the base?
- Q: What plant prompts people to share a smooch during Christmas?
- Q: What are the ingredients for mulled wine?
A: Red wine, herbs, spices, and sugar
- Q: Which country decorates Christmas trees with spiderwebs?
- Q: What would be your Zodiac star sign if you were born on Christmas?
- Q: What is the average number of years a tree takes to reach the average “Christmas tree?”
A: 15 years
Fun family Christmas trivia questions
- Q: Where was baby Jesus born?
- Q: What was the original title of the song “The Little Drummer Boy?”
A: Carol of the Drum
- Q: How many days are there between Christmas and Epiphany?
A: 12 days
- Q: How do you say “Merry Xmas” in Spanish?
A: Feliz Navidad
- Q: What do the French call Santa?
A: Père Noel
- Q: Who are Santa’s little helpers?
- Q: On Christmas Eve, what piece of clothing do people hang near a fireplace?
- Q: Who wrote the famous song “Frosty the Snowman?”
A: Walter Rollins and Steve Nelson
- Q: Where was Saint Nicholas born?
- Q: Which of Santa’s reindeer is the most famous?
- Q: Candy canes originated from which country?
- Q: Who spies on kids and reports to Santa children that are naughty or nice?
A: An Elf on the Shelf
- Q: Where did the Nativity occur?
- Q: What is another name for Christmas trees?
- Q: What was the gift on the seventh day in the popular song “12 days of Christmas?”
A: Seven swans a-swimming
- Q: What animal pulls Santa’s sleigh?
- Q: What Christmas food do kids leave for Santa?
A: Milk and cookies
- Q: What three gifts did Baby Jesus receive at birth?
A: Gold, frankincense, and myrrh
- Q: What does the word “Noel” mean in Latin?
- Q: What is the total number of “la’s” in three verses of “Deck the Halls?”
- Q: What holiday goodies have a staff shape to remind children of the Shepherds who visited Jesus?
A: Candy canes
- Q: How many ladies are dancing in the “12 Days of Christmas” song?
A: Nine ladies
- Q: What gift would Santa put inside a naughty child’s stocking?
A: A lump of coal
- Q: What are the names of the kings that visited baby Jesus?
A: Casper, Melchior, and Balthazar
- Q: In “Winter Wonderland,” what was the snowman called?
A: Pearson Brown
- Q: Which character is famous for stealing Christmas presents and decorations?
A: The Grinch
- Q: Who first started the Elf on the Shelf tradition?
A: Carol Aebersold and her two daughters
- Q: What are the two traditional Christmas colors?
A: Red and green
- Q: Where does Santa live?
A: North Pole
- Q: Name two of Santa’s reindeer whose names start with “C?”
A: Cupid and Comet
- Q: What was the Christmas tree decor once made of silver color?
Hard Christmas trivia questions
- Q: What country is the largest exporter of Christmas trees?
- Q: What is the capital city of Christmas Island?
A: Flying Fish Cove
- Q: What is the name of the country where people believe that a witch drops gifts from a chimney on Christmas?
- Q: Which country first started putting up Christmas trees?
- Q: Who invented electric Christmas lights?
A: Thomas Edison
- Q: What Christmas song has the lyrics “Say hello to friends you know and everyone you meet?”
A: Holly Jolly Christmas
- Q: What tradition does caroling originate from?
A: English custom of wassailing
- Q: What year was the first Christmas card sent?
- Q: What popular book has these words, “Christmas doesn’t come from a store; maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more?”
A: How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
- Q: Oklahoma was the first state in the US to officially declare Christmas as a holiday, true or false?
- Q: KFC is a favorite Christmas meal in what country?
- Q: Theodore Roosevelt was the US president known for having his own eggnog recipe, true or false?
A: False. The president was George Washington
- Q: Who sang the song “White Christmas?”
A: Bing Crosby
- Q: What was the original title of the poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas?”
A: A Visit from St. Nicholas
- Q: England once banned the celebration of Christmas. True or false?
- Q: Who was the political cartoonist to draw the visual prototype of Santa popular today?
A: Thomas Nast
- Q: Between 1659 and 1681 in Boston, what Christian group banned Christmas?
A: The Puritans
- Q: What were the first artificial Christmas trees made from?
A: Goose feathers dyed greens and fixed to wire branches
- Q: Which state in the US first declared Christmas as an official holiday?
- Q: What store first initiated Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer as a marketing gimmick?
A: Montgomery Ward
- Q: What is the most featured bird on Christmas cards?
- Q: Who designed the first Christmas Card?
A: John Horsley
Christmas movie trivia questions
A Christmas Carol
- Q: What is the name of Scrooge’s fiance?
- Q: What are the names of the three ghosts that visited Scrooge?
A: Ghost of Christmas Present, Ghost of Christmas Past, and Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come
- Q: How many ghosts appeared in the movie?
A: Four ghosts
- Q: Who is the author of “A Christmas Carol?”
A: Charles Dickens
- Q: Why was Jacob Marley’s ghost chained and tormented?
A: Because of Jacob’s cruel, greedy, and uncaring attitude
- Q: What is the name of Bob Cratchit’s Son?
A: Tiny Tim
- Q: In the movie, what step did Scrooge take to improve Cratchit’s life?
A: Scrooge gave Cratchit a raise
- Q: Who was the first ghost that appeared to Scrooge?
A: Jacob Marley, Scrooge’s deceased business partner
- Q: How did Buddy get to the North Pole?
A: He hid inside Santa’s Sack
- Q: Who played Santa Claus in the movie?
A: Ed Asner
- Q: What is the first rule of the Code of Elves?
A: Treat every day like Christmas
- Q: What was the human child Santa accidentally took to the North Pole named?
- Q: What is Santa’s super sled called?
A: The Kringle 3000
- Q: How did Buddy get his name?
A: The elves named buddy after his diaper’s label, which was “Buddy”
- Q: Who instructed Buddy not to eat yellow snow?
A: Leon the Snowman
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Q: What is the name of the author who wrote the Christmas book that inspired the movie “How the Grinch Stole Christmas?”
A: Dr. Seuss
- Q: What is the name of the Grinch’s dog?
- Q: Where does the Grinch live?
A: Mount Crumpit
- Q: What food did Cindy Lou pass to the Grinch’s dog, Max?
A: A plate of green eggs and ham
- Q: What were the first items the Grinch stole from Whoville?
- Q: Who was the voice of the Grinch in the original cartoon movie?
A: Boris Karloff
- Q: How many sizes does Grinch’s heart grow when he gets feelings?
A: Three sizes larger
- Q: What were the people who took care of the Grinch called?
A: The Old Biddies
- Q: How did the Grinch come to Whoville?
A: On a basket
- Q: Who played Grinch in the 2018 live-action movie?
A: Jim Carrey
- Q: What is the name of the little girl who became the Grinch’s friend?
A: Cindy Lou Who
- Q: What three words best describe the Grinch?
A: Stink, Stank, Stunk
- Q: What drink did the children receive on the train?
A: Hot cocoa
- Q: Who was the last kid to board the train?
- Q: In the movie, what was “The First Gift of Christmas?”
A: Bell from Santa’s Sleigh
- Q: Tom Hank played the role of how many characters in “The Polar Express?”
A: Six characters
- Q: While heading to the North Pole, what kind of animal got in the way of the train?
A: A Caribou
- Q: Who wrote “The Polar Express” book, which later inspired the movie?
A: Chris Van Allsburg
It’s a Wonderful Life
- Q: Who was George Bailey’s guardian angel?
A: Clarence Odbody
- Q: Who was the villain in the movie?
A: Mr. Potter
- Q: What is the name of the actor who played George Bailey?
A: James Stewart
- Q: What did George promise to give Mary?
A: The moon
- Q: George Bailey had how many children?
- Q: What happened when a bell rang?
A: An angel got wings
- Q: In the 1946 movie, George Bailey lived in what town?
A: Bedford Falls
- Q: What is the release date of the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life?”
A: January 7th, 1947
- Q: At the movie’s end, the cast sang which two songs?
A: “Auld Lang Syne” and “Hark The Herald Angels Sing”
A Christmas Story
- Q: Who was Ralphie’s little brother?
- Q: What did Ralphie’s dad call him in the movie?
A: The Old Man
- Q: Ralphie’s aunt got him what presents for Christmas?
A: A pink bunny suit
- Q: What department store had the gift Ralphie wanted for Christmas?
- Q: What gift did Ralphie want for Christmas?
A: Red Ryder Carbine-Action, 200-shot, range-model air rifle
- Q: What did everyone say Ralphie would do if he had a gun as a Christmas present?
A: “You’ll shoot your eyes out.”
- Q: Who stuck his tongue to a frozen pole on a playground?
Miracle on 34th Street
51. Q: What real-life store was “Miracle on 34th Street” based on?
52. Q: What is the name of the actress that played Susan in the movie’s 1994 version?
A: Mara Wilson
53. Q: At the movie’s end, what did Susan give the judge?
A: A dollar bill
54. Q: What date was the movie initially released in the United States?
A: May 2nd, 1947
55. Q: Who was the attorney that defended Kris Kringle?
A: Fred Gailey
Frosty The Snowman
56. Q: What is the magician in the movie called?
A: Professor Hinkle
57. Q: What is the name of the magician’s bunny?
A: Hocus Pocus
58. Q: What brought Frosty to life?
A: The magic tophat
59. Q: How did the movie characters try to get to the North Pole?
A: Through a frozen train car holding ice cream
60. Q: What is the name of the child that helped Santa get to the North Pole?
Deck the Halls
61. Q: What is Steve Finch’s profession?
A: An Optometrist
62. Q: Why were Steve and Buddy fighting in the movie?
A: For the title of “The Christmas Guy”
63. Q: What light did the crowd use when the lights on Buddy’s house did not work?
A: The crowds used the lights from their cellphones
64. Q: Why did Buddy Hall decorate his house with so many lights?
A: Because he believed decorating with many lights would make his house visible from space
65. Q: What was the release year of White Christmas?
66. Q: What was the name of Rudolph’s elf friend?
67. Q: What actress played the role of Betty?
A: Rosemary Clooney
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
68. Q: In the animated version of “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer,” what was the name of Rudolph’s girlfriend?
69. Q: What was the name of Rudolph’s dad?
70. Q: Why did Santa want to cancel Christmas?
A: The weather was too foggy
71. Q: Why did other reminders stop Rudolph from joining any reindeer games?
A: Because Rudolph has a shiny red nose
72. Q: When traveling to the Island of Misfit Toys, which character is Rudolph scared of?
A: The Abominable Snowman
- Q: Kevin thought he was a thief because he took which item from the store?
A: A toothbrush
- Q: Which of his siblings’ rooms did Kevin get money from when he was home alone?
A: Buzz’s room
- Q: What are the names of the two main villains in Home Alone that broke into the house?
A: Harry and Marv
- Q: What do the Home Alone bandits nickname themselves?
A: The Wet Bandits
77. Q: Where did Kevin’s family travel to for a vacation?
A: Paris, France
78. What is the name of the gangster movie Kevin watches?
A: Angels with Filthy Souls
During the holiday, you cannot go wrong with playing trivia and asking dozens of Christmas-centric questions. These questions will test your group’s knowledge in the most fun way. You can organize a contest on a specified day and challenge your friends and families to exciting trivia. Also, you can randomly ask these Christmas questions during a meeting or lunch. If you plan to host a trivia game, then chances are that most participants already know how to play. All you need is to print out a Christmas trivia question card, go over the rules, and have a lot of fun.
For more fun, check out holiday Family Feud questions.
FAQ: Christmas trivia questions
Here are answers to questions about Christmas trivia questions.
What are Christmas trivia questions?
Christmas trivia questions are fun Christmas-centric prompts you can use for quizzes. These questions usually include facts about Christmas worldwide and even Christmas movies. Using these questions during a friendly contest with colleagues or families can be a great way to expand your knowledge of different topics on Christmas.
What are some good Christmas trivia questions?
Great trivia questions revolving around Christmas are:
- What company first introduced Santa Claus’ red and white costume in an advertisement?
- What Christmas song has the lyrics “Say hello to friends you know and everyone you meet?”
A: Holly Jolly Christmas
- How do you say “Merry Xmas” in Spanish?
A: Feliz Navidad
- What is the name of the little girl who became the Grinch’s friend?
A: Cindy Lou Who
- How many ladies are dancing in the “12 Days of Christmas” song?
A: Nine ladies
With these questions, you and your group can have a lot of fun and learn new things.
How do you play Christmas trivia?
Christmas trivia is a fun game to play with your families and friends. First, consider the age range of players. You should pick the right questions that suit players’ levels. Also, appoint a non-participant as the game host. The host will curate the questions and answers on separate cards. Also, you can inform your group ahead of the trivia to ensure everyone comes prepared. Players can play individually or in teams depending on your preference and group size. Also, how you choose to ask the questions is up to you. You can ask the first team to pick a random number based on how many questions you have on your list. A team gains a point for every correct answer. In the end, the team with the most points wins.